Home Office Immigration Rules for Cricket Overview - 30/11/17

UK Visas  Immigration

Check out the latest Home Office Immigration Rules for Cricket Overview.


The following table is provided as general overview only. The ECB are not registered immigration officials therefore if you require specific immigration guidance you will need to contact UK Visas and Immigration. 


Clubs wishing to use the services of a player who is not on a Tier 5 Creative & Sporting (Non FCC) visa, must ensure that the visa allows them to play and/or coach.


Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 10.48.42




Supplementary Employment 

An additional job in the same profession and at the same professional level as the work for which your Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned; and No more than 20 hours per week; and Outside of the normal working hours for which your Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned. In addition, you must continue to work for your sponsor in the job recorded on your Certificate of Sponsorship.


"Professional Sportsperson"

The term "Professional Sportsperson" is defined by the Rules as someone, whether paid or unpaid, who:

"is providing services as a sportsperson, playing or coaching in any capacity, at a professional or semi-professional level of sport; or

"being a person who currently derives, who has in the past derived or seeks in the future to derive, a living from playing or coaching, is providing services as a sports person or coach at any level of sport, unless they are doing so as an "Amateur"."


The Home Office has advised that it would consider that the following are likely to be included in the definition of "Professional Sportsperson":

* players who have played for professional or semi-professional clubs at junior levels, which may include under 19s teams, whether they were paid or not;

* coaches of junior teams of professional or semi-professional clubs, whether they were paid or not;

* former professional sportspeople who have formally reverted to amateur status according to the rules of their sport; and

* players who have played representative sport for their state, country, or territory, whether they were paid or not.


"Amateur Sportsperson"

A person who engages in a sport or creative activity solely for the personal enjoyment and who is not seeking to derive a living from the activity. This also includes a person playing or coaching in a charity game.


"Seeking to derive a living"

A person may be considered to be seeking to derive a living if they are part of a Player Pathway.


"Player Pathway"

Player “Pathway” definition: A player may be considered to be on a “Pathway” and therefore classified as a “Professional Sportsperson”, if that person has played cricket above U17 at state / province / territory level (paid or unpaid) in any country.


"Reasonable expenses"

What is considered reasonable will be based on the cost in the geographical location of where the person is living - Reimbursement of airfare, board & lodgings.


The Home Office definition for "Payment" of "reasonable expenses" for a player travelling on a Standard Visitor Visa (SVV) is stated as follows:


"The applicant must not receive payment from a UK source for any activities undertaken in the UK, except for the following:

(a) reasonable expenses to cover the cost of their travel and subsistence.


(Refer to the Immigration Rules Appendix V: visitor rules under Clause V4.7(a))



If you have any questions on the above, email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .








Archived News
View all archived news stories